Pages

background

Friday, January 7, 2011

When I First Knew

I don't think of myself as a negative person. I always see the glass half full, and always try to keep an open mind about things.

But when the surgeon told us that there was a 90% chance that Ruby's meconium ileus (bowel blockage) was the result of Cystic Fibrosis, I just knew that we were part of the 90%. I wasn't thinking worse case scenario, for some reason this was the only scenario. We were told it would take about a week for a first stage diagnosis (heel prick test results).

The next day (or so) Craig went back up to the coast for a bit. I took Eliza to the playground in the hospital grounds. I remember the day really well. The sun was shining and I was actually feeling relaxed. Eliza was behaving and we were getting in some much needed quality time together. Eliza was playing on the spinny thing with an older girl, about 5 or 6 years. Her mum asked me if I had the time, and, as women do, we started chatting. She asked me if we has someone in the hospital and I told her my 4 day old baby was recovering from surgery. The rest of the conversation was sorta like this:

Her: "oh, up in Grace Ward"
Me: "yeah"
Her: "Sally was a NICU baby too and had an operation at 4 days old. What sort of operation?"
      Now, in my time in hospital, I was beginning to realise that if you pronounce NICU like nic-you and not by the letters, it means you have normally spent a bit of time there yourself. She said nic-you
 Me: "her bowel. She had a blockage"
Her: "did she have meconium ileus?"
Me: (looking at her strangely)"yes..."
Her: "oh, Sally had exactly the same thing. It was diagnosed at my local hospital and we were rushed here and she was operated on after that. We stayed here for 3 weeks and once they were happy with her bowel working again we went home"

She then called her daughter over and told her to show me her scar. The girl dutifully yanked up her top before running off to play again. You could barely see it, it was in the exact same position as Ruby's. 

Then there was a bit of an uncomfortable silence. I didn't want to ask if her child had CF and she obviously didn't want to ask if I had been told about the risk yet. I can't remember who said what, but yes, Sally did have CF. I told her we were waiting for the test results. We had a big chat after that.

It was after this event that I was absolutely certain that Ruby had CF. Any amount of doubt was eradicated. Why, out of all days, would I meet this lady and her daughter? Seeing that happy, healthy looking, energetic little girl do something so normal as play on a playground with other kids prepared me for the diagnosis. That is when I started coming to terms with what was in store for us, not a week later when we received the official diagnosis.

*The girls name wasn't Sally, I can't remember her name!
 
 

1 comment:

Lea Paige Matteo said...

Chemicals used in industries gives me Leukemia Cancer and it's all started when I wanted to get off my job to get another job that when I got diagnose, at that very point I was so scared to die because it has infected my blood cells also I was prescribed drugs like Cyclophosphamide,Busulfan,Bosutinib,Cytarabine, Cytosar-U (Cytarabine),Dasatinib in all that was just to keep me waiting for my dying day. I got inspired by what I read from a lady called Tara Omar on blog spot on how Dr Itua cure her HIV/Aids then they were lettered below that says he can cure Cancer so I pick his contact on the testimony she wrote then I emailed Dr Itua hopefully he replied swiftly to my mail then I purchased his Herbal medicine also it was shipped to me here in Texas, I went to pick it at post office so he instructs me on how the treatment will take me three weeks to cure my Leukemia Disease, Joyfully I was cured by this Dr Itua Herbal Medicine.
I will advise you too to give a try to Dr Itua Herbal Medicine with the following diseases that he can help you cure forever___Diabetes, Herpes,HIV/Aids, Bladder Cancer, Breast Cancer, Parkinson's disease,Schizophrenia,Lung Cancer,Breast Cancer,Colo-Rectal Cancer,Blood Cancer,Prostate Cancer,siva.Fatal Familial Insomnia Factor V Leiden Mutation ,Epilepsy Dupuytren's disease,Desmoplastic small-round-cell tumor Diabetes ,Coeliac disease,Creutzfeldt–Jakob disease,Cerebral Amyloid Angiopathy, Ataxia,Arthritis,Amyotrophic Lateral Scoliosis,Fibromyalgia,Fluoroquinolone Toxicity
Syndrome Fibrodysplasia Ossificans ProgresSclerosis,Seizures,Alzheimer's disease,Adrenocortical carcinoma.Asthma,Allergic diseases.Copd,Glaucoma., Cataracts,Macular degeneration,Cardiovascular disease,Lung disease.Enlarged prostate,Osteoporosis.Alzheimer's disease,
Dementia.Vaginal Cancer, Kidney Cancer, Lung Cancer, Skin Cancer, Uterine Cancer, Prostate Cancer, Colo_Rectal Cancer, Leukemia Cancer, Hepatitis, Brain Tumors, Tach Disease,Love Spell, Infertility, Hpv. GoodLuck,XoXo****
Dr Itua Contact Information:::
Email (drituaherbalcenter@gmail.com)
WhatsApp-(+2348149277967)