Pages

background

Thursday, May 5, 2011

6th Day - CLINIC

  CLINIC DAYS!
I will always remember the first time we went to clinic. I hated it. It was like walking into a secret society. The staff were welcoming, they had all heard about Ruby and were excited to meet her. I hated that they were so nice. I wanted to tell them "don't be too friendly, we won't be coming back". I didn't want to be part of this club, I didn't want to meet any of the other parents, I didn't want to have a reason to be there. 
But it is a part of our lives now, and it always will be. I don't want clinic days to be a negative thing for Ruby, so I have changed my attitude. 

Clinic is pretty much an all round check-up. The last one was just two days ago, Ruby was 9 months. First she was weighed then measured. Then a chat with the physio who was impressed by how she can now blow. Then another chat with the nutritionist which is always informative. 

Then the sputum sample. This is where spit is sucked out from the back of Ruby's throat to see if she is culturing any bugs. Depending on the result of the sample, her antibiotics may be changed. The plan is to catch anything early before it causes any damage.

Here is what happens:









Clinic days are scheduled by age groups and what bugs your child has previously cultured. This is to avoid the spread of certain germs that can be very detremential to a CF childs health. Believe it or not, clinic kids look normal. If you walked in by accident, you would not even realise that there is anything wrong with these kids. There's that whole "invisible disease" thing again...

We go to the clinic at Westmead Children's which is over an hours drive away. It makes for a long day for a little bubba but she does well.There is a clinic closer to us at the local hospital, but I just don't feel comfortable changing care yet. Westmead have been there from the start, it's just how it is.

Links to our clinic updates:

http://danni-herewegoagain.blogspot.com/search/label/clinic



No comments: